An often over looked resource is your local library. Be sure to check out your local library’s resources page for subscriptions to online databases that often charge a subscription fee. Entrance to these sites is through your local library’s website using your library card credentials.
- BookFlix– (Requires card)- Video based books for young readers with read along text. Site uses Flash for content and may not be accessible on iOS devices unless using Flash friendly browser apps.
- Flipster– (Requires card)- Provides access to popular magazines either through a web browser, Android, Kindle and iOS apps. Kids resources include Ask (teacher companion), Ranger Rick Jr, Discovery Girls, and Highlights.
- Tumblebooks– (Requires card)- Early readers video based books with a variety of topics. Books are also available in multiple languages with human narration and sentence highlighting.
History & Culture
- American History– (Requires Card)- Comprehensive resource library and research tools related to American history broken up by periods. Detailed summaries are available for each period with text to speech and translation support.
- CultureGrams– (Requires Card)- Learn about the culture and day to day life of people across the word. There are US states, the world, and kids editions available. Content is readily broken down by category (places, history, people, cultural notes, and fun facts). Text to speech enabled.
- FreedomFlix– (Requires card)- Video and text companion on topics related to US history and civics. The available text has human narration with word highlighting as it reads and two available speeds.
- Global Voices– Curates and translates current events news from around the world.
- Mango Languages– (Requires card)- Learn a new language with video and activity cards.
- Opposing Viewpoints– Collection of articles, media, images, and statistics based on topic. Text to speech and translation supports available.
- Amazing Animals of the Wild– (Requires card)
- MedlinePlus Children’s Page
- ScienceFlix– (Requires card)- Video and text summary articles around science related topics. Good quality text to speech, definitions, and Lexile conversion supports.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online for Kids– (Requires card)
- Kids InfoBits– (Requires card)- Easy to navigate picture based research for early grades. Text to speech and translation support.
- Scholastic Go
- SIRS Discover– (Requires card)- Materials have text to speech and translation supports. Content can also be filtered by Lexile reading level.
- TrueFlix– (Requires card)- Video and accompanying text around a variety of topics (picture based category search). The text has human narration with word highlighting supports.